Located in an ample park on Insurgentes Avenue,
which marks the entrance to the San Angel
neighbourhood, the Monument to Alvaro Obregón is an
urban landmark of Mexico City's south side.
The monument was erected in 1935 to commemorate the
assasination of president Alvaro Obregón at the
place where it happened. The assasination took place
in the elegant restaurant “La Bombilla” which was
located in the middle of the
orchards which, at the time, belonged to the
'Convento del Carmen'. On July 17th 1928,
the president was assasinated by Jose de León Toral
who conspired with Mother Conchita as part of a plot
of the Catholic church to prevent Obregón from
returning to power and speeding up the process of
separation between Church and State.
The monument consists of a large hollow tower which
has an access stairway flanked by two big, stone
sculptures made by the artist Ignacio Asúnsolo.
Inside the monument there's a large room which once
housed a grotesque object: the hand Obregón had lost
in a previous battle. The 'relic' has been removed.
It's possible to detect a strong influence of Art
Deco in this monument, manifested in the building's
structure as well as in the geometric nature of the
sculptures. In front of the monument there's a great
water mirror lined with cypresses and rosebushes
which enhance the place and make it a pleasant area
for people who work in the nearby office buildings
to come for a walk.
Also, diverse crafts or novelty product markets take
place frequently on the esplanade of the 'Bombilla
Park'. The monument is also visited by young
skaters who take advantage of the building's base
sloped structure to practice the sport.